The amount of support that a parent is required to pay for children after the breakdown of a relationship is known as “child support”. Child support is determined by the Department of Human Services (formerly known as “The Child Support Agency”) by reference to an administrative formula. That formula is based upon the taxable income earned by each parent and the care arrangements that exist in relation to the children.

Parents are able to reach agreement concerning child support arrangements or can apply to the Department for changes to the administrative assessment. In some (restricted) circumstances, parents can apply to a Court for orders in relation to child support.

Our Family Lawyers are able to advise you in relation to child support assessments and your options in relation to agreements, applications to change child support, court proceedings, objections to assessments and avenues of appeal to the Social Security Appeals Tribunal.