In some cases, it can be very difficult to recover money from a debtor without commencing legal proceedings. Uther Webster & Evans are experienced in all jurisdictions and can assist you with drafting a statement of claim, serving the statement of claim on the debtor, obtaining default judgment (if the debtor fails to respond) and enforcing the judgment.

We are also able to assist if you are the defendant in proceedings and require advice as to how to proceed. You must be aware that if you do not file a defence with 28 days of being served with the statement of claim, the plaintiff may obtain judgment against you without further notice to you. It is vital that you obtain legal advice and assistance to avoid this (if possible).

Debts of up to $100,000 can be pursued in the Local Court. Debts over $100,000 (but under $1,250,000) may be pursued in the District Court, while debts over $1,250,000 may be pursued in the Supreme Court. In certain situations, you may be able to recover some of your legal costs related to the proceedings.