The law permits urgent applications to be filed in court for urgent relief where it is warranted. This includes where significant financial transactions are being entered into or are proposed to be entered into, and which are in dispute. It also includes where a parent has relocated or is proposing to relocate with a child, and the relocation is in dispute, or if a parent is not being permitted to spend time with the children.

Courts can make orders, called “injunctions” which can prohibit or mandate certain things occurring. These orders can be made on an urgent, short term basis, either on notice to an affected party or entity, or in the absence of the affected party or entity (where orders are made ‘ex parte’ – that is, ‘from the evidence of only one party’).

This is a complex area of law and the choice to bring urgent court proceedings requires careful consideration of the risks involved.

We have extensive experience bringing ex parte and urgent court proceedings in the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia, the Federal Court of Australia, State and Territory Supreme Courts, District Courts and Local Courts.